This photo of the space shuttle Endeavour docked to the International Space Station was taken in May from the Russian Soyuz spacecraft as it returned to Earth -- the first photo taken of a docked shuttle from another spacecraft. During the last decade, space shuttles helped build the complex at an altitude of approximately 220 miles.
Many University of Cincinnati alumni have worked on those launches, designing trajectories and teaching astronauts how to maneuver on spacewalks, among other things. In a few years, another alumnus expects a prototype space suit he is working on will get a trial run at the space station.
- In Focus photo of Atlantis blasting off
- UC alum John McCullough helps complete final shuttle mission
- From co-op jobs to NASA careers
- What's next for NASA?
- Decades of advancing flight
- Discovering water on moon
In Focus Photo Gallery